Recently, Google published a step by step guide to help business owners link their Google Ads and Google Analytics accounts. According to Google, being able to connect the various elements of your sales process has never been more important:
“Gone are the days of the traditional marketing funnel. While the funnel once showed us how a customer would gradually narrow down their product search along the path to purchase, this standard has changed – or more accurately, there is no standard path. Today’s customer journeys might resemble anything from a pyramid to an hourglass — and according to a study conducted by Google and Verto Analytics, no two journeys look the same.”
But what does that mean in real-world terms, and how do you link your accounts?
Why Should I Link My Accounts?
Put simply, because linking your accounts gives you the fullest possible picture of how your ads are performing, where you can improve, where your traffic is coming from and the level of ROI you’re getting (and what you could get). When you link Google Ads with Analytics, you can do a few more things as well, including:
- See ad and site performance data side by side in the analytics dashboard.
- Import analytics goals and e-commerce transactions into your Google Ads account
- Import cross-device conversions into your Google Ads account when you activate Google signals
- Import Analytics metrics like bounce rate, average session duration and pages per session directly into your Google Ads account, helping you create more tailored ads.
- Enhance your Google Ads remarketing power with Analytics Remarketing and Dynamic Remarketing tools
- Get richer data in the Analytics multi-channel funnels reports
Now, you might not use all of those functions just yet, but the more you use both Google Ads and Analytics, you will find yourself starting to use the capabilities more and more. And the more you use the data at your fingertips, the more your business will succeed online. It’s a simple enough thing to do, and will give you even more information to help you optimise your online presence, your ads and your sales. Doesn’t that sound good?
How Do I Do It?
Before you do anything else, make sure that you’re using a Google account that had edit permission for Analytics, and admin access. If you aren’t, you won’t get very far.
Next, open up the linking wizard. This makes it easy to link any of your Google Ads accounts to multiple views of your analytics.
- Sign in to Google Analytics.
- Click Admin and navigate to the Analytics account you want to link (otherwise known as property.
- In the property column, click on Google Ads Linking.
- Click + New Link Group
- Select the Google Ads account you want to link from the drop down, and click continue.
- Turn linking ON For each view you want to see Analytics data for.
- If you want, you can also select Enable Google Display Network Impression Reporting, which will include that data in the view too.
- If you’ve already enabled auto-tagging in your Google Ads accounts, or if you want to let the linking process do this automatically, then you’re done!
- If not, all you need to do is click link accounts.
If you have lots of different Google Ads accounts, then you’ll need to repeat this process for each one.
And there you have it! Now you will able to see the benefits of linked accounts for yourself, and hopefully create a more unified sales funnel in the process. If you would like some help linking your accounts, or want to know more about the benefits, just get in touch with the team at Ad-Extra today, and we’ll be happy to help.